The Thinking Christian

Lately, when confronted with the opinions of my fellow Christians, I ask myself, "What were they thinking?" Truth is, I wonder if they've really thought through the opinions they put forth. In this blog I will attempt to provoke thought on some current issues. My thoughts might not mirror the popular view, but I hope they will help others consider the question, "What would Jesus think?"

Thursday, August 25, 2005

What We Can Learn From Billy Graham

Billy Graham, a fellow Christian and Democrat has been an exemplary example of man who knows his purpose in life. In his book, Just as I Am, he wrote, "An evangelist is called to do one thing, and one thing only: to proclaim the Gospel. Becoming involved in strictly political issues or partisan politics inevitably dilutes the evangelist's impact and compromises his message. It is a lesson I wish I had learned earlier." He has also said, "If I get up and I talk about some political issue, it divides the audience. What I want is a united audience to hear the Gospel."

What can we learn from Billy Graham? We can learn that a balance can be struck between our work for the Lord and our political beliefs. Was Billy Graham apolitical? No, he was involved in the political arena in a way few people have experienced. During his ministry, this man was considered to be the minister, confidant and friend to every US president. As a Democrat, he must have had some strong opinions that he shared them with those in power. But the difference between Graham and so many Christians today is that he never lost his focus. He never used his platform for politics or to push a Christian political agenda. He never called for laws to be added or changed to suit his ideals. What he did was share the gospel with more people than anyone who has ever lived. He did not squander his popularity on things of this world, even though one word from him would have been enough to form a huge lobby on any subject of his choosing.

I want to be like Billy Graham. Am I a political creature? Yes. Do I support Democratic candidates and vote faithfully every time the polls are open? Yes. What I don't want to do, however, is to jumble my religion and my politics into a single, driving force. My purpose in life is to glorify God and to tell others the good news of Jesus Christ. My politics must always take a back seat to this purpose. By promoting strong partisan politics mingled with religion, one does a disservice both to their political agenda and to the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home